In present post, I would like to draw your attention to the road accident that might have changed worlds of many families.
In the incident which happened at 5:10 AM on 20th March 2021, a high end car first hit a taxi (car) so hard that the taxi rolled for number of times and its occupants came out of the vehicle. In said incident three people were killed and other three people injured as the inebriated 18-year-old driving the luxury car allegedly jumped the red light signal at Radha Soami (Godrej) Chowk in Mohali, Punjab (India) and rammed his car into a taxi and then hit two cyclists. Two occupants of the taxi and a cyclist died, while three people sustained injuries in the crash. The police have booked the person driving the luxury car and his two friends, who were accompanying him at the time of incident. Police said the three in the luxury car were drunk when the accident took place. The three youth of luxury car fled after the crash, neither did they inform the police nor called an ambulance. The police recovered empty bottles of liquor from the luxury vehicle. In initial report, police said that the person driving the vehicle did not have a driving license. A criminal case for culpable homicide not amounting to murder as well as for criminal conspiracy was registered against the accused under sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) at the local police station. Police said that Investigations will be completed in the next two weeks, and the court will be asked to conduct a speedy trial to give an exemplary punishment to the culprits.
It may be noted here that stated fatal accident could have been averted if
- The person driving the luxury car would have been stopped at the red light signal.
- The taxi driver would have lowered speed of his vehicle to minimum while moving through that road crossing.
- The cyclists would have been much vigilant at the area around the road crossing and slowed down before passing that road crossing.
- The government authorities would have executed preventive measures so that possibilities of such incidents are minimum.
- If YOU are driving a four wheeled vehicle, that too a high end luxury one which is supposed to be not damaged by a hit by a non-luxury car, must take care of other normal four wheeled vehicles plying on the roads. YOU must stop at red light signal whatever may be the time, place or circumstances. Otherwise, incident mentioned above will reoccurred, in future also.
- YOU, if are driving a 4 / 2 wheeled vehicles, must pass any road crossing at a slower speed and at a lowest speed at late night and early morning hours.
- Officials of Government Authorities must take due cognizance of the state of road and take immediate steps to execute all possible safety measures at site. The authorities should not wait for tendering or other official paper work for plugging any holes / potholes so that any human life is not lost due to delay in making good the roads.