If not yet, let me make YOU understand the usual approach, many of us follow while upbringing our children ignoring the importance of safe/defensive driving.
Here I am referring he/his for a boy in the below mentioned learning of a child, in context of moving outside his house /driving a vehicle. On the similar lines, you may infer she/her in place of he/his, for a girl child:
- As the kid starts growing up in his home, firstly he starts moving here & there.
- When he learns to move outside, his parents do not worry to pay attention to where he moves, lest there is no vehicle moving around him. After he takes admission in Play School with only learning to board a bus/van that too under care and supervision of his parents. Driver and helper of the bus/van are expected to be cautious while boarding as well as during deboarding of the child. Non-taking care of the same sometimes results in a major mishap, which may even lead to the death of the child.
- During the daily routine, he is not made to learn the importance of moving correctly outside his home because it is not felt so important by his parents. In most cases, his parents are more concerned about the education, sports, other extracurricular activities of the child, on regular basis.
- At the age between 3 – 5 years, he learns cycling (with side support) under the care of his parents or elder one. At this stage, he is made to learn to cycle on the road while keeping a distance from vehicles, more so from motorized vehicles while he moves in their locality.
- When he owns a regular cycle and takes rides outside, he is told to drive cycle safely by moving on side of the road and stopping at red signals. By and large, he is not made to learn driving a cycle and thereafter scooter/bike under any expert guidance who can tell and asks to practice him all about safe/defensive driving and to have patient or empathy to fellow movers. He assumes that the way he cycles/drives his two-wheeler is okay unless he gets hit by any other speedily driven vehicle, due to other drivers’ fault or maybe due to his own negligence.
- After some years, he learns to drives motorized vehicles and feels okay if he passes the driving test which is better conducted in major cities, with little importance at the town level, what to say about the village level? After getting his driving license, he drives on roads as he likes, only keeping in mind not to encounter any traffic police. On the other hand, if it happens, in certain cases he opts to give cash for the part amount of challan only to a traffic police personnel instead of paying a fine against the official challan.
- As he has not learned safe driving techniques /skills, he may fall prey to a major road accident or may hit non-motorized person/s.
- There has been a lot of uncertainty during any major accident. During major accidents, some of the likelihood is as below:
- The non-motorized deceased, who has been hit by him, may be the sole breadwinner of the family.
- He himself may die and maybe the sole breadwinner of his family, at the time of the incident.
- If on four-wheeled vehicle, he may hit multiple persons driving two-wheelers/non-motorized vehicle/pedestrian. In some cases, both husband and wife as well as their child on the two-wheeler may die during a fatal accident.
2 thoughts on “Safe/Defensive Driving, YOU have No Other Option”
Yes, you mentioned all those important points which should be kept in mind while driving. I will follow defensive driving.
LikeLiked by 1 person